terça-feira, março 17, 2009

Stanley Greenberg

"I begin with a respect for voters, and viewed my work, from the beginning, first as an academic and then as a political pollster in campaigns, as trying to figure out how to get leaders to respect people, how to make leaders more responsive, how to make them, ultimately, more accountable. The problem is that I'm now a pollster, a close cousin to spin-doctor, which has the profession, in American terms, of making shit shine. Of making things the opposite of what they are, manipulating, making reality...making reality seem the opposite of what it is. And so, the danger - and which I take as real, I didn't write this book as a defense of my profession or what I do - my starting point is that I'm not sure that the tools that I developed to make leaders more accountable to voters aren't in fact making leaders less accountable. I was particularly focused, as I wrote this book, on the United States, where there is building, building evidence of leaders holding on to power despite being out of touch with voters on an extraordinary range of issues. Leaders growing more arrogant, seeming they can avoid accountability. And my techniques are not a small part of the process of avoiding accountability. So my starting point is, am I in fact making the problem worse than I set out to solve?"

Podcast de conferência na Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA) , 3 de Março de 2009, a propósito de Dispatches from the War Room.

Sem comentários: